Book Review: The White Rose

The White Rose (The Lone City #2)
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: October 6, 2015
Page Count: 320
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: Young Adult - Dystopian, Fantasy

The White Rose launches Violet and Ash into the world of the underground resistance. After the Duchess of the Lake learns of the relationship between the two, she wants to see their blood run for choosing something for themselves. The Duchess only sees Ash and Violet as property; they should not be able to find love. Violet, with a little help from some friends, manages to escape the Duchess' evil clutches with Ash in tow. The pair launches into an adventurous journey as they flee the Jewel and head for the Farm.

The pace of this one was a bit odd; some moments sped by where others seemed to crawl. In spite of this, I was totally wrapped up in the journey. The tension in this one is palpable and I had trouble putting this one down for too long. I was desperate to know how things would work out. The ending of this one came far too soon as a huge rebellion was foreshadowed. I cannot wait to get book #3.

In addition to the plot, I was happy to see some of my answers from the first novel answered. The background and structure of the underground resistance is revealed as well as the story behind the Auguries. The lore surrounding the Paladins and their abilities was fascinating.

I will say that this novel didn't feel as compelling as the first novel. There weren't as many twists and turns that came out of nowhere - everything was fairly predictable. I feel like the larger purpose of this novel was to answer some of the lingering questions from the first novel and to set up the direction for the final installment. In addition, this novel serves as the momentum that Violet needs to fully shake off her helpless victim role and start fighting back against the oppression of the royalty.

One of my favorite aspects of this series is the revolutionary air. It reminds me in so many ways of the French Revolution. The aristocracy is lording their money over the less privileged and restricting the rights of other citizens. A reckoning day is coming for those who live in the Jewel.

I enjoyed this one, but I didn't think it was quite as strong as the first one. I'm hoping that the final one will be the best yet. It's poised to have a ton of action and conflict.


One Last Gripe: I missed the Garnet from the first novel. He's mellowed in this one and his snark is largely absent.

Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved watching Violet learn about her magic.

First Sentence: The arcana is silent.

Favorite Character: Violet

Least Favorite Character: The Duchess



Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.

But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm.

But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?

The White Rose is a raw, captivating sequel to The Jewel that fans won’t be able to put down until the final shocking moments.

Comments

  1. Very pretty cover! Great review, your style is very unique! :)
    Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally enjoyed this book a lot. My review will go up on Tuesday. I thought that the back story of the Auguries and the surrogates was interesting. I also like the fast paced at the very beginning of the book. Great review.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check out your review soon. I also really enjoyed the backstory about the Auguries.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame that you didn't enjoy this one as much as The Jewel. I remember really enjoying the first book and am still eager to read this one, and it's good to see that Violet develops more as a character and learns about her special power. Thanks for sharing a great review :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked this one, but I think the first book is better. I'm excited to see how things will come together in book 3. I certainly still recommend this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!