Throwback Thursday: The Choose Your Own Adventure series


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend posts and Book BFF posts on Thursdays as well, but the larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when. . . 

The Choose Your Own Adventure series
By: Edward Packard
Release Date: 1979 +


190917


I was in about fourth or fifth grade when I started picking these books up. I didn't get far into the series- it only took me about three books to realize that I wanted to read every page- but these little gems were fun while they held my attention. They were one of a few of my reading choices that I could discuss with most classmates; most kids didn't read like I did, but a lot of kids were reading these.


"You're The Star! 40 Thrilling Endings!" 
"Will You Become Trapped In Time" ? 
You are hiking in Snake Canyon when you find yourself lost in the strange, dimly lit Cave of Time. Gradually you can make out two passageways. One curves downward to the right; the other leads upward to the left. It occurs to you that the one leading down may go to the past and the one leading up may go to the future. Which way will you choose? 
If you take the left branch, turn to page 20. If you take the right branch, turn to page 61. If you walk outside the cave, turn to page 21. Be careful! In the Cave of Time you might meet up with a hungry Tyrannosaurus Rex, or be lured aboard an alien spaceship! 
What happens next in the story? It all depends on the choices you make. How does the story end? Only you can find out! And the best part is that you can keep reading and rereading until you've had not one but many incredibly daring experiences!

Comments