Waiting on Wednesday: A Death-Struck Year


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where she spotlights upcoming releases.

This week I am waiting on. . . 

A Death-Struck Year
By: Makiia Lucier
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 4, 2014


A deadly pandemic, a budding romance, and the heartache of loss make for a stunning coming-of-age teen debut about the struggle to survive during the 1918 flu. 

 For Cleo Berry, the people dying of the Spanish Influenza in cities like New York and Philadelphia may as well be in another country--that's how far away they feel from the safety of Portland, Oregon. And then cases start being reported in the Pacific Northwest. Schools, churches, and theaters shut down. The entire city is thrust into survival mode--and into a panic. Headstrong and foolish, seventeen-year-old Cleo is determined to ride out the pandemic in the comfort of her own home, rather than in her quarantined boarding school dorms. But when the Red Cross pleads for volunteers, she can't ignore the call. As Cleo struggles to navigate the world around her, she is surprised by how much she finds herself caring about near-strangers. Strangers like Edmund, a handsome medical student and war vet. Strangers who could be gone tomorrow. And as the bodies begin to pile up, Cleo can't help but wonder: when will her own luck run out? 

Riveting and well-researched, A Death-Struck Year is based on the real-life pandemic considered the most devastating in recorded world history. Readers will be captured by the suspenseful storytelling and the lingering questions of: what would I do for a neighbor? At what risk to myself? An afterword explains the Spanish flu phenomenon, placing it within the historical context of the early 20th century. Source notes are extensive and interesting.


Comments

  1. Oh, wow! I hadn't heard of this one. Sounds a little like In the Shadow of the Blackbirds without the Spiritualism and ghosts (which I did love!). Off to add to my TBR list...~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought of In the Shadow of Blackbirds when I heard about this one. I loved that one so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm always a little hesitant about historical fiction, but this one sounds really good. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh nice! Haven't heard of this one but hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just now gotten on a historical fiction kick, so I'm super excited about this one. This is actually the first time I've seen it, so I've added it to my TBR shelf!! The pandemic aspect of it grabbed my attention right away!! I hope it's as good as it sounds!! Thanks for sharing, Andrea!! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to have shared a new title with many of you! I'm a historical fiction junkie so I was super excited about this one. I did get an e-ARC that I hope to read soon. Be sure to check back for the review in the next few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!