Book Review: Fearless

Fearless (The King Series #1)
Published By: Tawdra Kandle
Publication Date: January 2011
Page Count: 389
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy/Paranormal

P.S. - Book #2, Breathless, is free on Amazon Sunday-Tuesday. Happy Cyber Monday! Check out the info on Tawdra's website.

I was a little nervous to read this one because I know the author personally. It's so much easier to read and write a review when you're only focus is the book. I knew that Tawdra Kandle was a strong writer from working with her in the past, but I hadn't read any of her published work. However, I needn't have worried. Fearless was a fun, thrill ride that kept me entertained and left me ready for book two.

Tasmyn Vaughn is the new girl in King, Florida. She's never fit in before and she's shocked to discover things might just be different this time. Tasmyn has a secret gift - one her parents encourage her to keep hidden from the rest of the world; she has the ability to read minds. On her first day of school, she hears someone thinking about a blood sacrifice and things escalate from there. Tasmyn has to know who is thinking such dark thoughts before it's too late.

The beginning of this one was a little slow for me. There is so much information on Tasmyn's ability and her background in this section. It's all crucial information, but it did have me feeling bogged down at a few points. The beginning also dedicates a lot of time to Tasmyn settling into King and forming relationships with Michael, Anne, and others. Again, this information will be pretty crucial later on, but it was a lot to digest. 

Once the middle comes around, I couldn't stop reading. I feel like this is truly where Kandle shines. The pacing is spot on and the plot left my stomach churning. I had no idea what was going to happen, but I knew it would have a sinister spin. Not only is their Tasmyn's mind reading to think about, but there is some witchcraft happening in King as well. I loved the combination of these two paranormal elements.

I love Tasmyn and Michael. They have such a sweet relationship and their loyalty to one another is remarkable. Instalove is one of my pet peeves and at first I thought that was what was happening between these two. I appreciated that Kandle explains their connection. Instead of instalove, I got an intriguing family legend. That additional element allowed me to get over them falling for one another so fast and to focus on the story. The sweet moments between Tasmyn and Michael made me smile. I particularly enjoy their dates to the spot where the pines and citrus trees meet.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel is the lore surrounding the town of King. As a historian, I am always compelled to read stories with a strong sense of place. The setting can often make or break a book for me. While I have never spent an extensive amount of town in central Florida, Kandle was able to transport me there in my mind. Furthermore, the notion of a town created for retired Carnies was intriguing and new for me. Witchcraft and the mystical abound in the small town of King - making it a dark, delicious setting in the midst of the land of sunshine.

Lastly, this one does not end on a huge cliffhanger (which I appreciated) but it does leave some unanswered questions to compel readers to pick up the next installment. This is a solid, well written debut from a promising Indie author. I can't wait to spend more time in King with Tasmyn and Michael.


One Last Gripe: I am not a huge fan of Cara. I wanted Tasmyn to listen to Anne about her.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The legends and lore of King

First Sentence: New girl.

Favorite Character: Michael

Least Favorite Character: Liza



Tasmyn Vaughn didn't expect much when her dad’s job moved them to a small town in Florida; it was just another new school. But there is more to King than meets the eye, and soon Tasmyn’s ability to hear other’s thoughts is the least of her worries. Entangled in a web of first love, quirky and secretive townsfolk, magic and blood rituals, she discovers the town’s secrets aren’t just bizarre, they’re deadly.



Comments

  1. I love the cover of this book. I really like books about magic, too. Add another mind reading paranormal twist and I AM hooked. I love the idea of this novel, definitely original.
    I really like it that the author took some real facts and turned them into fiction. I am intrigued.
    GREAT review, Andrea
    It is hard to write a review when you personally know the author :(
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!