Book Review: Dreamless

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 29, 2012
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy, Greek Mythology

Who knew a trip through Hell could be so much fun? 

I really enjoyed book one, Starcrossed, but I never expected to LOVE this book. I expected it to be good, but it blew me away. I couldn't put the book down and when I was forced to (stupid shiny job) I kept thinking about the characters. Starcrossed had its moments of tedium as Josephine Angelini set up her world. However, book two has none of those moments. The action picks up right where Starcrossed left off and keeps you on the edge of your seat through the entire book. A mere seven days of time has passed between book one and book two. There are many elements I loved about Dreamless that I will remain mum about as I do not want to spoil those who have not read book one. Trust me though -  GET IT, READ IT, ASAP. Angelini's writing just keeps getting better and better.

Helen must face her destiny as the Descender and live up to the ancient prophecy in which she can free the Scions from their blood debts owed to the Furies. In order to accomplish this task, Helen must descend into the Underworld each evening in the hopes of finding and defeating the Furies. The elements that take place in the Underworld were some of my favorite parts of the book. More mythology is introduced during these segments when Persephone, Hades, Morpheus, and Ares make appearances. Lesser Gods and Goddesses also join the cast of characters throughout various parts of the book as the entire Scion world is on high alert. An old prophecy also rises to the surface and spells trouble for Helen and Lucas. The world is on the edge of war. As the back of the cover lurks in shades of vagueness about the plot, so shall I. I will say that its so nice to finally see some of the really dark and depressing edges of mythology make an appearance. Happy endings are few and far between in ancient Greece.

One of the things I love so much about this series is the characters. I find all of them - even the villains - to be highly intriguing. Also, as with any series, I am looking to see if the characters grow from book to book. Angelini does a beautiful job of moving her characters forward; their complex relationships take some unexpected twists and turns. I promised myself I wouldn't say anything about Helen's love life so I will refrain - you have to read for yourself to find out what the deal is - but I will say its delicious. Its also not just the romantic entanglements that make this book so compelling. I also enjoy seeing how the bonds of friendship and family are tested. In particular, I am interested in watching Helen and Claire's friendship evolve. They begin to be pulled in different directions - an uncomfortable place for these who have been joined at the hip since birth - but I find it to be a realistic portrayal. 

Readers will also be intrigued to meet a new character, Orion. I wasn't sure if I was going to like him at first, but he grows on you after awhile. Dare I say that I favor him a bit more than Lucas? Orion is also a Rogue Scion and he knows how to relate to Helen. He has been on his own since the age of 10 because of the cycle of "Blood for Blood". He also becomes Helen's way of learning more about her mother. His strength and gifts will become valuable assets to Helen on her quest and will also be an integral factor to the plot.

The commentary on the concepts of fate and cycles are also a dominant aspect of this series. I love seeing how Angelini laces these concepts into the fabric of the plot.

Finally, the visual imagery Angelini conjures in this one is amazing. Her descriptions of the Underworld, Persephone's garden, and the Land of Dreams are breath taking. I wanted to spend more time in each place.


One Last Gripe: Must I seriously wait until 2013 for the next book? That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

My Favorite Thing About The Book: All the action - there is not a slow moment in this book

First Sentence: On Monday morning, school was canceled.

Favorite Character: Orion

Least Favorite Character: Eris



As the only Scion that can enter Hades at will, Helen descends to the Underworld in search of a way to overcome the Furies and end the cycle of revenge that has cursed the Scions. But she’s running out of time. Each descent weakens her both in mind and spirit. A mysterious stranger might be her only salvation, but the price may be her love for Lucas Delos.

As an unforgettable love triangle emerges, Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding. The eagerly awaited sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed, Dreamless delivers with a huge emotional impact that will leave readers satisfied—and longing for more.


Comments

  1. Yes! I am very happy that you have enjoyed this because the only other review I read of it didn't like it AS much. They also didn't like how little we saw of Lucas but I'm not too bothered, as long as there is another guy on the scene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Lucas, but I wasn't bothered that he wasn't around as much. To be honest, I missed Hector more. However, based on the plot, it makes sense for Lucas to be hovering on the edge of the action.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!