Book Review: Crossed

Crossed (Match #2)
Published By: Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date: November 2011
Page Count: 367
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Dystopian

I do like Ally Condie's writing. Although I didn't enjoy this as much as Matched, I did feel quite captivated. What was missing for me was the burning romance of the first book, so I think I'm sitting on the fence between 3 and 4 birdies. I am invested, I care and I read this pretty quickly, but it didn't blow me away. To be really honest, I was disappointed with how the romantic parts were written. I got more romance out of the parts describing the landscape, which was beautiful. I'd advise readers to look up the particular caves she wrote about, or perhaps read about the setting for the novel on her blog (http://www.allysoncondie.com/2011/07/writing-setting/), as it is so beautiful.  I did look up the caves first, and I think that really helped me understand certain parts of the book.

I was pleasantly surprised by the turn of events in the plot, as I felt that Cassia wouldn't ever quite reach Ky, but not by the ultimate outcome. I can't be more specific than that without giving away the plot. Again, I felt that Ally's writing helped me to improve my appreciation of poetry, which is a difficult thing to do. I like how it is set in context, and the poems mean more because you almost feel like a part of their construction. 


The real question for me is whether Cassia will end up with Ky or Xander. There's a lot more to each of them than Cassia ever realized, and I think in many ways they are quite similar. I feel like I have come around more to Xander through this book, because I felt like some of Ky's shine was dulled, and perhaps I was also disappointed with how he behaved once he had his chance. 


The third book, Reached, will definitely be a good one.



Rules Are Different Outside The Society 

Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky--taken by the Society to his sure death--only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of a rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices every thing to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again. 
Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's point of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever.






Comments

  1. Thanks for the review! I've read Matched quite recently and loved it! This was mainly due to the romance, so I hope that Crossed lives up to Matched :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it probably will not live up to Matched for you Stephanie. :( But don't let it stop you reading it; there is much to enjoy even if the romance is slightly AWOL.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. Crossed left me wanting more. I'm glad I read it and will read book 3 but Crossed just didn't live up to what I was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!