Book Review: Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)
Published By: Philomel
Page Count: 400
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult

My heart is still pounding after finishing this one. I closed my Kindle just a few minutes ago and had to immediately sit down to write my review. I'm not even sure how to express how much I loved this book. Andrea Cremer is quickly becoming one of my favorite YA authors and the Nightshade series is proving to be an addiction. I have no idea how I am going to wait until February for Bloodrose. Writing this review was also a difficult prospect because I don't want to spoil anything. There are so many twists and unexpected turns lurking within the pages. I went in totally blind and hope that others will uncover Wolfsbane's secrets in the same authentic way I did.


Wolfsbane begins exactly where Nightshade left off. (Some readers might want to reread the last few chapters of Nightshade to get familiar with the context again if it has been awhile since you read it.) There is no down time with this novel - it is 100% action the entire time. It left me breathless and anxious. I didn't like where it ended; it felt so unresolved. However, that is the sign of a great author. Cremer gave me just enough and then stopped so that I would be anxiously awaiting the next book. I get it, but that doesn't mean that I am not feeling a bit selfish at the moment. I want the next book NOW.

Fans of Nightshade will be happy to see the characters they fell in love with in the first book, but many of them will change in drastic ways and some will even find their deaths in this installment. I was riveted as I watched Calla and Shay try to figure out who to trust and who was the enemy. Life in Vail has crumbled in their absence and it seems that the Keepers are trying to control the Guardians with an even tighter iron fist. Can Calla save her pack and the boy she loves?

Once again, I was in awe of Calla's strength and determination. I forget that she is just a teenager as I read. I can't imagine having so much weighing on my shoulders at such a young age nor can I imagine being expected to fight with the skill and ferocity Calla possesses. I also feel sorry for her as she's torn between her love for Shay and her love for Ren. This is one of the few love triangles that I have read that seems like a completely impossible choice. If there was ever a time for Team Switzerland it's now. However, I am still firmly in the Team Ren camp even though I can see the merits of Shay.

This installment has everything you could want in a book: hot boys, romance, fighting, bloodshed, history, folklore, alliances, and strong characters. I bow down to the amazing creativity and talent of Andrea Cremer. I am anxious to see what she will do in the future with the Nightshade series and any other stories she decides to craft. If you have not given this series a chance yet - stop waiting - get the books immediately. You won't be sorry.



One Last Gripe: I honestly can't think of anything at the moment. I am in awe of this book.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: Everything - I love this world and can't wait to spend more time in it

First Sentence: I couldn't shut out the dreams.

Favorite Character: Calla

Least Favorite Character: Emile



When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.





Comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed "Wolfsbane". I can't wait until I get my hands on a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO need to get off my butt and read Nightshade already! :D

    Molli
    http://www.onceuponaprologue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Molli - Yes, you do. I am in love with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a really hard time reading about Ansel and Ren. Both characters were deeply affected by the keepers reaction to Calla's betrayal. I wonder how either of them can recover and forgive Calla. Even though their pain is not her fault, she believes it is and the two boys will have to face it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!